Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Number One Fear in America

The number one fear in America, is of-course Public Speaking. I am not exempt from this fear and today, my fear was tested as I was asked to speak in the middle school chapel in front of 300 unimpressed middle-schoolers. I was so nervous. You would think that middle schoolers wouldn't be intimidating, but it must be something about the mob-mentality that made my knees shake. I had prepped a nice, full script about trusting God and I was as ready as I was going to get.

The talk I gave started with an illustration of a tightrope walker asking an on-looker to join him on the rope and the on-looker refusing to join him even though he believed that the tightrope walker was the best in the world. Then I transitioned into the story of Peter walking on water, believing at first that it possible, then doubting and falling, I finished off telling my story of choosing the YoungLife job and how I had to risk it and trust God. I hope you can see the pattern. I think it went over well and I got some really positive feedback!

Needless to say, it was a bit of irony that I was speaking on trusting God, when that trust is what I was lacking that installed the fear in me that caused me to question my ability to speak in front of the masses. As I drove to MA, I prayed and gave the talk to God... Really, I can't do public speaking, not on my own... But in 2 Corinthians it says something about boasting in your weaknesses, because that is when Christ is strong. I really saw this promise lived out today. I was surprised by God's ability to work thru the things that I am not good at. Knowing that with my ability alone, I could not have gotten up and spoke and succeeded; made me super excited, because I knew God was active and alive thru me. I think I'd even do it again... (note the word, 'think')!

So, although public speaking is a fear of mine, today I looked it in the face... or maybe more so, God looked it in the face for me and my words flowed and my transitions stuck and my knees stopped knocking and I did it... WE did it.

Now on to the club talk for WyldLife tomorrow night... Phew...

No comments: