Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Snow

Not exactly a "God" surprise, but a surprise for my 1 hour of being awake so far today, snow.

Now, I have lived in Grand Forks for four years and now in Minneapolis for almost two year and snow is not something I am afraid of, but I have just learned that a small snow storm (about 6 inches) causes the entire city of Seattle to shut down. What? It is true. I have been in Seattle for 4 days and one day we tried to drive up to Crystal Mountain to go snowboarding and alas, we were stopped with all the other cars and told we had to put chains on, but there wasn't even snow on the street, so we would have ruined the chains and had to turn around concurred by the weather.

Now, yesterday, I spent an hour in a car between two blocks, because once it starts snowing in Seattle, people begin to freak out. Drivers because crazed, streets become hilly-ice rinks, and cars because spinning bodies of danger. There is no plan, the streets do not get salted, the roads do not get plowed, people just don't go to work and the TV is overtaken with "emergency reports" about the horrendous weather.

There are people who left work last night and still at 9:30am haven't arrived home because they gave up on the highway.

I'm telling you it is insane! The city is shut down...and I am just laughing!

God is good, none-the-less, even though plans are re-adjusted, without driving capabilities, sitting in with your best friend and her husband is just as fun as snowboarding and the experience will always be something to remember.

No comments: