Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Let the surprises begin

Day one of the surprises. My awareness of God's active involvement in life has increased significantly. I feel like I have a radar for it, due to this experiment. Today projected to be no different from any day. I had three coffees set up, one lunch, dinner and a fika. Surprises are easy to see when you're actively engaging in each days potential. My prayers are many lately; for many different things. A lot of those prayers were answered today, and although it isn't a miracle as amazing as Jesus healing lepers or bringing a dead man to life; these miracles have their own charm.

I met with two people that were vital in an answer to prayer for guidance and affirmation in my position with YoungLife. One of these people I met for the first time: a woman, in her twenties who has been working for YoungLife for, I believe, six years . Her wisdom was not only helpful but inspiring. The other, a friend and co-worker who really tactically answered this prayer with ideas and feedback. I left the two coffee's feeling up-lifted and un-burdened. I was pleasantly surprised by God's answer to this prayer.

A second answer to prayer came repeatedly to me over the different meetings and gatherings. My prayer to find good friends in the Cities (something I have been praying for quite some time) was answered (again). I think this prayer has been answered many times, but for once I am able to document and hence really feel God alive in answering it, because I am aware of it. First the coffee with the gal in her twenties, I really thought, wow, this gal is awesome and I not only want to learn from her wisdom, but also, I hope there can be a friendship there. Second, the co-worker, a friend--we both acknowledged that even in my 6 weeks on staff, there is already a friendship there. How cool is that? Thirdly, I met with my Meal Group from the Upper Room (our church small group) and as always, was blessed by each of their lives and by each of them personally. We had great conversation about where each of us are in life. We told the good and the bad and basked in the unconditional love of a body of people. God really went over-the-top when he brought this group together... We call ourselves the "poster-child for Meal Groups" and though it is a bit self-consumed, it is just to say, we really get along, trust and have developed deep friendships from the experience. Finally, the rekindling of friendships of the past. Friends of old are always so precious, and tonight at a Fika (Swedish for a coffee get together) I was able to connect with two of my dear friends from Bluewater (Bible Camp) as well as some mutual friends. When I asked God to build a body of friends and support around me here in Minneapolis, as always, He did not deny me of that. I have been so blessed by the people I know here and this is definitely a surprise, in that at one point a year ago, I felt pretty dim about only having a few friends. God truly is good and again, I was pleasantly surprised.

So, my two great surprises of the day, both answers to prayer, one for guidance the other for friendship. I would have never guessed the way these prayers would be answered, but I love watching the story play out as I see God's hand. I am so excited to see what kind of surprises lay in store for tomorrow...

No comments: