Friday, November 24, 2006

In Seattle

I think best friends are surprises in themselves. I mean, the world is pretty big and what are the chances that of all the places you could be and all the choices you make to get you where you are, that you will find one or more people who you click with perfectly, feel like your souls are kindred and just enjoy spending time with. It may sound simple, but if you really sit down to wrap your mind around it, it is quite complex.

I was thinking about that today as I sat in the car with one of my best friends, Jen. Sometimes I don't know why I chose UND for school or what inspired me to join Delta Gamma... All these choices I made led me to where I am. I was thinking about how I desire to be married and perhaps my husband was at another school and if I hadn't gone to UND I would have met him. Would I have chosen that path, knowing those details? NEVER! My girlfriends are more valuable to me than diamonds and emeralds. I love the life I have lived and the people I have met, boys can come later. The choices I made to take me to UND and to join DG and to latch onto the people I have, my friends, were the right choices. I remember that as Jen lists off her ideas for stuff to do while I'm out here and I listen, thinking to myself... She knows me so well, it is exactly what I would want to do! Or as we are napping together on the couch after 6 hours of shopping, prepping for 3 more! :) I couldn't ask for a better friend, someone that knows you inside-out, accepts you and affirms you in who you are and someone who you are comfortable enough with to snuggle under a lacy blanket while National Lampoon's Christmas vacation plays and just laugh. That is the best.

So, I am not only surprised, but floored by the friends God has given me. It has been two days since I added anything and there have been lots of little surprises. A safe flight to Seattle; a delicious Thanksgiving dinner at the Vacanti's; a great episode of Grey's Anatomy :); an amazing day of shopping; good friends; and so many more blessings. God surprises me by reminding me of the past, and how truly awesome it was. He reminds me of the friends I made and the blessing it is to have made them. He surprises me in that I truly feared that the dear friendships I had at college would dissolve over time, but they haven't, they are only stronger and the times we have together now are more exciting because they are in new towns and new circumstances. The surprises and changes are what make life interesting and exciting and in this context adds some real spice to some already awesome friendship.

In other news, Seattle is beautiful. It is SO green! The evergreens really cause the earth to look alive and vibrant. It has rained 50% of my time here, which is pretty good (in other-words, it rained one day and didn't the next), but of course I love rain and look forward to some more rain (as long as it heats up a bit) Brrrr. It is definitely the warmth of both Vacanti families that I have been able to spend time with the past two days that has caused my vacation to be so lovely so far. I am excited for the rest of the trip! :)

No comments: