Monday, April 2, 2007

Baseball=spring

Day Two. And I feel like I do not have much to report. I find myself caught up in the busy-ness of the day, not taking the time to think "surprise me, God". I am sad that it wasn't more obvious as lived out my day to day--but only disappointed in myself for not taking life at a slower pace and breathing in each new moment and each opportunity. But it is only day 2 and I get some slack in this life-style change... right?

The day was laced with fun encounters with friends. I was able to meet a friend for lunch where conversation was lively and fun. Then on to a grieving friends house to bear cookies where we could watch an exciting game of baseball out their window.

The baseball game really made me ponder hard on the fact that spring is so close. Though the weather did not match the sight (it was a little bitter out today)-though the sun shown through a light layer of low clouds and the boys with their purple uniforms showed the excitement of a new season. Baseball is such an emblematic way to welcome in the Spring season: Outside games, fans eating popcorn and drinking cola, and tan lines.

Baseball is not only a symbol of spring for me, but it is also near and dear to my heart because it has always been a family past time of our. You could say, in fact that we are the All-American family: with our red, white and blue decorated house, 2.5 kids (really only 2-thank goodness: point 5 would be weird) and a dog. My dad is a huge baseball fan, partial to the '61 Yankees-and I hesitate to say (ducking for the on-coming tomato storm) even a current Yankees fan. We made it a priority to see as many baseball fields as possible in our 13 moves and millions of cross country trips. I believe I even have pictures of me under 1 year old in a white bonnet cheering on some obscure baseball team-it is in my blood. So not only was the on-coming of spring a gift today in the form of a leather bound white ball with red laces... but it was also a reminder of family and all that together really brought me joy.

Amongst the hustle and bustle of a truly busy day; later in the quite reflection of a day not yet lost; I am living in that moment, sitting with 2 dear friends watching spring ushered in thru the strength of the bat against a ball, and the memories of family; appreciating the simplicity of life and happy to live in it.

Go Twins! (and maybe even-Go Yankees!)

No comments: